Friday, February 15, 2008

"Drama at the Grammy Awards" with Taz Jonez




I want to first off apologize because, like a dumbass, I left my camera in the taxi. Therefore, I don’t have the pictures that I wanted to show, and am relying solely on what I have on my camera phone. But anyways, for those who didn’t watch, Amy Winehouse was the big winner of the night, tying the record set by Lauryn Hill for most wins in one night by a female. Sadly, because her visa was denied due to all her drug issues, drama and arrest, she didn’t perform at the actual ceremony.


The highlights of the night were Carrie Underwood’s performance for vocals, Beyonce and Tina Turner’s performance for greatness, Rihanna’s performance with the Time for fun, and Aretha Franklin for mess of the night. Kanye West looked good on the screen due to the angles that they shot him from, but to actually watch him at the show he appeared boring and I have seen plenty of unsigned Baltimore emcees do a much better show minus the million dollar stage set of course. Then when you add in his constant gloating about being the biggest star in the world, his obvious fear of losing the Grammy for album of the year to Amy Winehouse, and his borderline self indulging tribute to his mother, he really just left a bad taste in your mouth. When Vince Gill received his award and called Kanye out on his cockiness, the entire arena clapped with applause. It was good to see Common and Lupe Fiasco both walk out with awards. Common won for best rap performance by a duo or group with Kanye, and Lupe for best urban alternative for his “Daydreamin” single featuring Jill Scott. Kanye won 4. He was the big hip hop winner of the night.


When Aretha Franklin came on stage looking like the sun in that bright ass dress I laughed my ass off. It was definitely the mess of the night, and the sheer mass of her fat ass was big enough to be spotted from the nose bleed sections with ease. Then to add insult to injury, Aretha began yodeling on stage, and a man came from backstage and led her offstage like a cow, and when he led her back on stage several minutes later she was calm and spacey as if he had given her a tranquilizer. I think my section may have laughed for 30 minutes at Aretha’s messiness. I am sure ya’ll didn’t get to see the deal with that at home. If Rihanna was the night’s best dressed, Aretha was definitely the worst. Her messiness continued throughout the week where she attacked Beyonce for declaring rival Tina Turner the “Queen”.
As far as the rest of the week, it was crazy. I got to meet everybody from Jimmy Jam to Manual Seal. The coolest celebrity had to be Alicia Keys, who left the awards by herself, not a bodyguard in sight, waved to us, got in her silver Bentley and left. The celebrity who had his head stuck the deepest in his own ass was John Legend. After the awards, we went to Mr. Chow’s in Beverly Hills. John Legend arrived, and was standing next to me waiting to be seated. He was staring in my face and it was kind of awkward, so I commented on his performance with Fergie that night to break the ice, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I was thinking, “is this dude serious?” My first thought was to drag him into the bathroom and wash some of that caked up mascara off his face so he would stop looking like a woman, but then the paparazzi rushed him so I was satisfied. The celebrity we had the most fun with was Young Dro. We left the Grammy pre- show because it was boring as hell and went to the bar across the street and ran into him. He was cool even though he wouldn’t let me go to Nia Long’s house with him to go swimming. LMAO
Am I going next year? Hell yeah, and for $150.00 a ticket, I would recommend more Baltimore artist go as well. The networking there is the best in the world. Trust and Believe.


Peace


Taz Jonez

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really really wanted to go man but you know why i didnt.. I will be there next year for sure.. Man this was the funniest story i have ever read in my life.. man i wish you had more pics.. why didnt dro let you go to the party man.. thats some bullshit..lol..